Monday, September 21, 2009

The Butterfly, the Flower and the Gecko

I'm surrounded by lots of interesting critters where I live. Been looking out my window at a butterfly flitting, flirting with a flower and could feel its excitement as it pulled the nectar from a group of wildflowers. The gecko just crawled across my living room floor; yes, I don't mind sharing my dwelling with these rather sweet lizards. It seemed a little nervous as I approached it and just kept on going at a, I thought, rather leisurely pace. I like that I get invited into their world for my viewing pleasure. Don't really know how they feel about me.



While my cat was alive there was so much wildlife activity outside the house. The squirrels were always yakking at the cat, taunting it and scurrying around on the roof, up the trees, jumping from one area to another. I swear this one squirrel would be hanging out on the tree right where my cat would lay and squawk at it every day. My cat would just seem to tolerate it.



While my cat was alive there were several cardinals that hung out around the house. I can't for the life of me figure out why they were around while my cat was around. One of them, a bright red male, would fly right into a mirror I have posted on an outside wall. He would fly into it everyday. First he would zoom by it, then go flap his wings at 90 miles an hour right in front of it before he would crash right into it, then fly away. He repeated this so many times it became almost ordinary if it wasn't so strange.



I was really disturbed most by the squirrels as they would run on the roof of my bedroom constantly. This went on for a really long time. The strange thing now with my cat having gone to the Great Land where deceased cats go, is the lack of activity around the house. It's been two months since my cat hasn't been hanging outside the house anymore. That's long enough to see that something has definitely changed. No more critter activity.



I didn't notice it at first, of course, missing my cat hanging around. One day recently I looked outside and listened. There were no squirrels. There were no cardinals. It was kind of spooky.

It was so noticeable! I asked my assistant if she noticed it. She said she had seen a lot of squirrels down the road. That got me to thinking that maybe they went looking for another cat to hang out with.



Then I started really thinking. Was all this wildlife just here for my cat? Did he attract it into his world because that's his reality? I do believe that we are co-creators in this world building our own life with visions and actions. I never thought of my cat perhaps doing the same. At least I never saw the physical environment of a cat's life change like that before.



I'm keeping a close eye out for those squirrels. If they come back, there might be a stray cat around. There were three deer in our field yesterday. Wonder what that's all about?

No comments: